The video post format can be used if you wish to use a video in place of the featured image both on the blog page and within the single post. The Video Post type makes use of the built-in WordPress oembeds to automatically embed a video using a link from a supported video service.
Using the Video Post Format
- From the Post Editing screen select Video from the format metabox.
- A new metabox will show below the Post Title for a Video URL.
- Paste in a url from a supported service in the Enter URL field.
- EX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk
- Your video embed will automatically pull in and give you a preview.
The rest of the Video Post Format functions as a standard post.
If you do not set a Video URL the Post Format will use the Featured Image for the post.